How to Use Voluum Like a Pro
Are you using a tracking solution yet? Learn why Voluum is considered to be king of the business.
In the past, we’ve repeatedly said that tracking metrics are a fundamental part of affiliate marketing.
Click-through rate (CTR), impressions, earnings per click (EPC), conversions, all these terms are for naught if you don’t do your homework and set proper tracking for your campaigns.
Unless you can afford to lose a lot of money by not having a clue about your traffic, it’s important to develop a winning strategy; which might involve getting out of your comfort zone to learn about new tools that will end up saving you a lot of time — and trouble.
Today, we’re going to guide you through Voluum — affiliate software that ranks high among online marketers for tracking campaigns.
Tracking for Beginners
Before getting to the heart of the matter, we have to cover some basics.
What exactly is “tracking” and why should you care?
Essentially, tracking gives you the ability to consolidate and analyze your traffic’s activity for specific campaigns.
You’ll be examining visitors under a virtual microscope, acquiring useful data along the way such as time, location, source (e.g., blog post), and more. It’s your job to use this data — the context — to refine your marketing efforts.
You’re trying to seduce people and tracking gives you several hints to achieve just that. It’s a bit like going on a date and knowing beforehand what will please your prospect… except it’s a bit more costly than a meal at a restaurant.
What is Voluum?
Voluum is a tracking solution used by some of the top dogs in affiliate marketing.
They have the numbers to back this claim: 230k campaigns running each month with no less than 4,000 customers around the world. Phew!
Their developers want to help you turn ad clicks into conversions. And it works: Voluum tracks $2.5B in revenue annually and it’s only going up from there.
Enough of the marketing chit-chat: what you want to know is how this software can help boost your return on investment (ROI), right?
Getting Started With Voluum
The next few paragraphs will be a bit more on the technical side, but we’ll try to keep it cool. We don’t want anyone to suffer from brain hemorrhage!
Unfortunately, Voluum doesn’t offer a free trial. BUT! There is a way to test the tracking solution without spending. All you have to do is give the live demo page a visit.
No download or install required. It’s all in your browser. Pretty nice, eh?
GET STARTED WITH VOLUUM
- Create traffic sources with the custom variables you want to set, from where you buy the traffic (ad networks).
- Create landing pages with the offers you want to promote.
- Create flows with the landing pages of the offers you want to promote. You have to set a default fallback offer that can accept and cover anye traffic you buy (by geo, browser or device, etc.). You can also create specific rules with the offers that can aid you in more specific targeting.
- Create a unique campaign with your unique key code and link the right flow created beforehand.
- Copy the campaign URL generated on Voluum, and place it in a campaign from the ad network you buy traffic from.
- Check your Voluum reports and optimize your flow by geo, device, browser and other custom variables. You can also set up the Voluum auto-optimization tool if you miss time to optimize by yourself, or if you just want to challenge the tool vs the optimization moves you would do yourself.
Benefits of using Voluum
Here are some of the many benefits of using the Voluum tracking software. There are many similar products on the market, but few are able to include as many features with no compromises.
- Self-hosted: you don’t need to host Voluum on your own servers since it exists in the cloud. This will allow you to save a lot of money not having to pay for dedicated servers, for instance.
- Blazing fast: we mentioned how the software is hosted in the cloud. With huge data centers all around the world, Voluum ensures fast redirections for your international traffic.
- User-friendly: even if it can be a bit intimidating at first, Voluum keeps it simple even for beginners. The learning curve isn’t all that steep once you get going. This is achieved through an immaculate infrastructure that leaves nothing to chance and great, ergonomic design where you don’t feel lost instantly.
- Custom flows: with its advanced segmentation possibilities, redirecting your traffic to specific offers using variables (like by device or GEO) is easy with Voluum.
Challenges of using Voluum
- Rather costly: yes, you can toy with the live demo to give you an idea of the many features available, but if you want to start media buying for real, the entry point is $99 USD per month. This price includes 1,000,000 events — visits, clicks and conversions combined. If you have a lot of traffic, expect to pay $399 USD and up.
- Banners still have a ways to go: you can’t upload your banners (display ads) to Voluum. In other words, you have to deal with an Ad Network to host your files. Also, you’ll need to create a custom variable to track banners since there’s none available by default.
Voluum is still the solution you’ve probably been looking for
In light of this article, we hope you now have a better understanding on how Voluum can make a difference for you.
If you’re just starting out it might be a bit costly, but if you’re experienced it’s really a no-brainer to use this advanced tracking tool.
If you want to make it to the big leagues, you’ll have to invest sooner or later: Voluum gives you a ton of bang for your buck, from custom flows to real-time data… and best of all, it’s scalable, fast and secure.